Visit ELTBOOKS - all Western ELT Books with 20% discount (Japan only)

July 24, 2010

Most Japanese adults will not be able to study in Britain for more than six months

UKflag.jpegThe British government is introducing new restrictions on overseas students studying in Britain for more than six months. All students will be required to have a high intermediate qualification in English. The only qualifications that are accepted are TOEFL, Ielts, The Pearson Test of Academic English and the Cambridge Esol exams. TOEIC will not be accepted as a qualification.

The EL Gazette reports: 'The government laid the new immigration rules before parliament just 24 hours before implementation and three days before the beginning of the summer recess. It also comes at the peak time for student applications for courses for the next academic year. The House has forty days to disagree with the judgment, in which case the government must amend it, but this is unlikely to happen before autumn. Meanwhile, thousands of students will be rejected because they do not have the right language level, or because they do not have the correct qualifications.'

Click here for the online edition of EL Gazette. Please note that the change in government regulations is breaking news and may not be on the EL Gazette site yet.

Share this:  

« Previous | Main | Next »

Recent Headlines


Hedbanz / Charades
Helene J Uchida
Think Read Write
David Lisgo


Useful Links


  • ALTEThe Association of Language Testers in Europe
  • British CouncilInformation, resources, and links to other sites
  • Cambridge English Language AssessmentInformation on examination and qualifications for teachers and students
  • IALICInternational Association for Languages and Intercultural Communication
  • IALLTInternational Association for Language Learning Technology
  • IATEFL"Linking, developing and supporting" ELT professionals worldwide
  • TESOL IncPublishing, connecting, events and career development for teachers




World Today