Visit ELTBOOKS - all Western ELT Books with 20% discount (Japan only)

April 08, 2009

New visa regulations for studying in Britain

UKflag.jpegSchools in Japan that send students to learn English in Britain need to be aware of the new visa regulations that have been introduced this month. There is full information on the requirements for studying in the UK on the Home Office website.

One of the important requirements is that students need to have a 'visa letter' issued by a licensed sponsor or accredited school - click here for a list of language schools accredited by the British Council.

Students who intend to stay longer than six months must study at least fifteen daytime hours per week at level A2 of the Common European Framework of References for Languages or above. Students who intend to study for periods less than six months can apply as a 'student visitor' or 'child visitor' (if under 18). These visas cannot be extended or changed while in the UK.

Share this:  

« Previous | Main | Next »

Recent Headlines


Hedbanz / Charades
Helene J Uchida
Think Read Write
David Lisgo


Useful Links


  • ALTEThe Association of Language Testers in Europe
  • British CouncilInformation, resources, and links to other sites
  • Cambridge English Language AssessmentInformation on examination and qualifications for teachers and students
  • IALICInternational Association for Languages and Intercultural Communication
  • IALLTInternational Association for Language Learning Technology
  • IATEFL"Linking, developing and supporting" ELT professionals worldwide
  • TESOL IncPublishing, connecting, events and career development for teachers




World Today